Propose an Answer
Copy your findings to a chart in your classroom (one chart per region). Give everyone a chance to look at the different class findings, and then use the chart data as the basis for a class discussion of the following questions:
- Do any data sets appear to show change over time?
- Based on the data, what claims can you make about change in sea ice coverage and spring breakup over time? Be sure to include your evidence.
- If the data show change over time, can you think of any possible explanations other than climate change?
- If a distinct trend is not apparent, does this mean the Inuit observations from the video are essentially wrong or less scientific? Why or why not? Be sure to explain your reasoning.
- What can scientists learn from "Native ways of knowing" (e.g., Inuit observations)?